Q: What does it mean if a carpet scores high in indoor air quality?
For a carpet, what does it mean if it scores high in indoor air quality? Who judges this and is this a real factor to consider? Thanks.
Like many other household products and furnishings, new carpet can be a source of chemical emissions. This depends on a few factors- fiber type and length, adhesives and/or installation process. Carpet can also act as a "trap" for chemical & biological pollutants including pesticides, dust mites, and fungi.
The measurement of indoor air quality takes these factors into consideration, and rates carpeting on how much irritation it may cause, from a respiratory standpoint. This measurement is usually a concern when the household has young children or pets, or if someone in the household has asthma or another respiratory disease.
The biggest things you can do to reduce your exposure to most chemicals released:
- Select carpet & cushion with high indoor air quality
- Ask your installer or the retailer about low-emissions, alternative, or "green" installation options they may offer.
- Consider leaving the premises during and immediately after carpet installation or schedule the installation when the space is unoccupied.
- Open doors and windows to increase the amount of fresh air indoors.
- Use window fans and room air conditioners to exhaust fumes to the outdoors.
- Ventilation systems should be operated during installation, and for 24 to 48 hours after the new carpet is installed.
Flag / Report
Great information from Ken at Coles Fine Flooring. You may also want to do some research online about Indoor Air Quality & safe products.
One of my favorite sites is Scientific Certification Systems http://www.scscertified.com/index.php. Great info on IAQ - under the 'Green Products' tab. You can get info on the SCS Sustainable Choice certification for Carpet, too - http://www.scscertified.com/gbc/sustainablecarpet.php
Also research carpet choices via Interface at http://www.interfaceglobal.com/Sustainability/What-is-Sustainability-.aspx
This carpet manufacturer takes Sustainability to the next level and should be a mentor and model for all manufacturers, and all businesses. Supporting the products manufactured by Interface, also supports the values of Sustainable Business and 'Triple-Bottom Line'.
Flag / Report
Answer This Question